Thursday, January 10, 2013

Meeting Phongsavath Souliyalath

Phongsavath Souliyalath and Roland Drake at COPE Visitor Centre
On December 11, 2012, I posted this message to Facebook. I have reproduced it here for you to read and have included the photo which accompanied this message.



After being blinded and having his hands blown off by a cluster bomb, Phongsavath Souliyalath became an advocate for survivors of unexploded bombs and helped to draw the world's attention to the dark and deadly legacy which haunts Laos by the millions (referring to unexploded bombs).

When I visited the COPE Centre in Vientiane, Laos this afternoon, Phongsavath Souliyalath, whom I had only seen in a photo with Hilary Clinton earlier this year, was sitting behind a desk poised over a laptop. I introduced myself and then had the pleasure of conversing with him. During our brief exchange, I related the work of Adopt a Village in Laos and my volunteer work with this Canadian charity.

Before we parted company, I respectfully asked him if it was possible to have a photo taken with him. He was most accommodating.

No comments:

Post a Comment