Friday, January 11, 2013

The Lure of Laos in Xtra!



In November 2010, I first approached this magazine about doing a story on Adopt a Village in Laos. The initial reception was one of disinterest. Disappointed, I put this idea on the back burner and forgot about it.

In the summer of 2012, I was conversing with a friend about this Canadian charity for which I volunteer and the struggles I was experiencing in trying to raise awareness. I explained what had happened with Xtra! the first time. He suggested that I make another attempt, but to get in touch with a very specific person at Pink Triangle Press, Xtra's umbrella organization, to set the ball in motion. A day later I fired off an email and within hours received a resoundingly positive reply.

Not long after that email Serafin LaRiviere, a freelance writer for this magazine, got in touch with me, whereupon I directed him to talk with Steve Rutledge, the founder of the organization, for the full story. Serafin LaRiviere interviewed both of us over the phone.

On December 3, 2012, while I was (ironically enough) on my way to Southeast Asia, a story called The lure of Laos finally appeared in Xtra! I learned of the story's existence upon receiving an email from someone who had read the article and who lives in Laos for part of the year. I immediately shared this fantastic news with Steve Rutledge, close friends, and my Facebook friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment